One order of eggs

The last few days are all scrambled in my brain. Forgive the pun. But not really, because I wrote it rather deliberately.

After my appointment on Friday I got a call telling me that my husband needed to give me the HCG trigger shot at 9:00 that evening and that my egg retrieval would be on Sunday at 11:00.

So we happily went in Sunday morning and got ready.

Before Retrieval          20121024_103245

Patient Lipps and Dr. Lipps were ready. With the help of some lovely anesthesia administered intravenously, I slept right through the procedure and did not feel a thing.

Waking up however, is a different story. Here is a picture Mr. Lipps captured:

After Retrieval

That, my friends, is the face of pain. Immediately upon waking up, I was in agony. I was crying and asking my husband why the nurses and doctor hated me. For surely they must hate me to want me to be in so much pain.

The nurse kept pushing narcotics through my IV until finally the pain subsided a little. It also put me in a very odd twilight-like state that was not pleasant.

After having my pain level hold steady at a 4, versus the 11 it had been at, they decided to release me.

A few hours after coming home and resting for a while, I threw up. Blood. And then I threw up again. There was nothing in my stomach because I hadn’t eaten since before midnight the night before.

I grew concerned and decided to call the doctor’s office. The doctor on call told me to go to the emergency room. She would call ahead and let them know what I was experiencing and to expect me.

The emergency room experience was a complete shit show.

The nurse tried twice to insert an IV and blew two veins, and finally had to call in a paramedic to have him do it.

Emergency Room         Hand IV

After about 7 hours and many tests, they finally concluded that I needed to be admitted into the hospital. It appeared I had some internal bleeding from a complication during the retrieval procedure.

They told me this at 1:30 a.m.  I told my husband to go home, that despite his protestations, there was no reason for him to stay and also be miserable. He needed to go home and get some rest. So I sent him packing with promises of a phone call after the doctor stopped by to see me in the morning.

Throughout my time in the emergency room I continued to be in great pain and they kept pushing narcotics through my IV. I was also starving and thirsty but wasn’t allowed to eat or drink anything. It had been over 24 hours since I had consumed food or water.

Although they told me at 1:30 that I was being admitted into the hospital, it was about 3:00 before I was actually transferred to a room. Around 3:30, I finally fell asleep.

Only to be awakened at 5:00 by the ridiculous beeping of the IV machine. Because the IV was inserted so wonky (after 3 attempts), when I moved in my sleep, the line got twisted and that caused the machine to incessantly beep. I pushed my nurse call button and it took them a good 20 minutes to come and switch off the beeping.

I have never been subject to chinese water torture, but I can confidently assure you that this was worse.

While they were in there, they decided to check my vitals, as well as take some blood from me. Any hopes of quickly falling back asleep were dashed. Also, the beeping had caused me to have a pounding headache. I asked the nurse for some advil. She left briefly and when she returned she informed me that I could not have advil because I was on a no drink/no eat restriction and so I couldn’t have water to wash down the pills. She offered to push more narcotics through my IV. I was quick to refuse because those damn narcotics were making me feel sick. And really, if I was going to have embryos transferred into me in a few days, was it really a good idea to keep pushing so many narcotics into my system?

I’ll spare you the rest of the sad saga, although there really were some spectacular highlights from the horrible food, to the indignity of being dumped in a waiting room in nothing but a hospital gown, to needing to wait for assistance every time I needed to use the restroom.

Hospital Food     Leg Warmers

Finally, without determining much, they released me from the hospital.

Leaving Hospital

But not before I learned that they had indeed only retrieved 7 eggs, and that only 4 were mature and 3 had fertilized.

These were AWFUL results. Honestly, aside from getting no eggs or fertilized embryos, this was practically the worst case scenario.

Also, upon returning home, I weighed myself. At this point I had not eaten in close to 48 hours. Yet, I weighed 8.5 lbs more than I had when I left home to go have the retrieval. There was 8.5 lbs. of excess fluid in my abdomen. Yep, this is super comfortable, especially with enlarged ovaries.

So, that’s where we are now. Tomorrow I go in for my embryo transfer. I am hoping for beautiful, perfect embryos. Because at this point, I don’t have a lot of faith in this cycle.


About llipps

New mom, infertility survivor, marketer, wife, daughter and friend. I struggle to find the balance between being all things to all people and being happy with who I am. I love meeting new people, telling my stories, and hearing yours.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s